Home » The Old Brick Churches of Maryland by Helen West Ridgely
The Old Brick Churches of Maryland Helen West Ridgely

The Old Brick Churches of Maryland

Helen West Ridgely

Published September 12th 2013
ISBN : 9781230244471
Paperback
24 pages
Enter the sum

 About the Book 

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1894 edition. Excerpt: ... Chapter iv. ST. MARYS, Continued. -- CONTRIBUTIONS TOWARDS A CLERGYMANS SUPPORT. -- ST. GEORGES, POPLAR HILL. -- CHRIST CHURCH, CHAPTICO. -- ST. ANDREWS. -- THE REV. MOSES TABBS* WILL. --THE FIRST CHURCH OF ST. CLEMENTS BAY HUNDRED. --WILLIAM BRETTON, ESQ.ALL FAITH PARISH.-THE COOL SPRINGS. -- CALVERT COUNTY. -- CHRIST CHURCH. -- MIDDLEHAM CHAPEL.-- ALL SAINTS.-ST. PAULS, PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY. N 1658-59, when St. Marys was erected into a county, there were already three Protestant churches in that part of Maryland, and irregular services had been held before the arrival of the Rev. William Wilkinson, the first pastor, who in 1650 took up about nine hundred acres of land, for which he paid to the Lord Proprietary a quit rent of eighteen shillings. This clergyman had no regular salary, but he soon won the affection of his parishioners, who all contributed their mite to his support, -- one, William Marshall, endowing him with the milk of three heifers. Another record of a voluntary contribution to a rectors support is found in the will of Robert Cadger, who in 1676 left in trust to the Major (Mayor), Recorder, Aldermen, and common counsell of St. Marys, and to their successors, valuable property to be disposed of for the maintenance of a Protestant minister from time to time, to be among the inhabitants of St. Georges and Poplar Hill Hundred- such a one as they shall allow and approve of for minister and teacher. The executors were to give account to the Aldermen, Counsell, &c. One of these executors was Mr. Francis Sourton, of Devonshire, England. A tombstone bearing the same name has been recently unearthed in St. Georges Poplar Hill graveyard. The Latin inscription upon it, though marred by a break in the stone, ...